Saturday, February 20, 2010

Cupcake Cake Attempt #1...

Today was my first attempt at using my super new as seen on TV silicon cupcake pan. It was a gift from hubby, he had remembered me talking about wanting one.
As it was my first attempt I opted to make a solid cupcake versus using the extra piece to make a filled cake.

They bake up nicely but took a long time to bake. I was somewhat confused as to how much batter to put in each side, the directions said to divide evenly but I just sort of eyeballed it so that was probably my mistake.


Next time the top section needs a little more batter. :)


I trimmed both cakes, although after the fact I realized I should have trimmed more off the bottom. These look a little like a drunk carved them.


I used a whipped frosting, which on the upside totally hid all of the bad carving. On the downside it looks like a pink and white blob!



When cut open it resembles a cupcake, if you squint your eyes a little.
I was skeptical about the silicon pans. I have never used them before and really wasn't sure what to expect. They work great, the cake really just pops right out and you don't even have to flour the pan only spray with a little cooking spray. Hopefully cooking in them doesn't make the food toxic.
I think next time I will attempt to make a filled cake and work a little harder on the frosting and carving. Although like I have said before, it doesn't really matter what it looks like just what it taste like!


3 comments:

Karen said...

AWESOME!!!!

sara said...

Hi Laura, thanks for commenting on my blog! I got my little girl's chair from Land of Nod (kids store for Crate & Barrel). I think it is a great chair, well worth the price - mine sits in it all the time! Plus, I think the chair is a little bigger than the PB chair - another drawback for me on the chair from PB is that my daughter's name was too long to be monogrammed on the chair slipcover! Hope this helps! Oh, and I made the cupcake cake for my daughter's 1st birthday last year - yours turned out much better than mine! :)

Eric said...

Send some cupcakes down this way!
Wow- those look amazing!