Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Crunch Bars...

In a quest for some organization in the kitchen I have spent the last 2 weeks compiling all of the loose recipes I have floating around. It has been a real task considering I have been saving months worth of magazines that had recipes in them that I thought sounded good. I finally went through most of them and pulled out the pages and put them all together in one notebook. It has been so nice to open my cookbook cabinet and not get hit in the head with flying pages!

I'm sure a lot of folks are more hi-tech and use their computers for this type of thing but I prefer having my recipe in hand and to not have to worry about spillage, as I am a very messy cook! With all of my new found organization I ran across an easy recipe that sounded yummy, and for once I actually happened to have all the ingredients in the pantry.
Here is the recipe and directions...
(had some free time and was bored so lots of photos, beware!)
Preheat over to 400F
35 Saltine crackers, spread on foil lined 15x10x1 pan
1 stick of butter, 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
(light or dark, or both whatever you have on hand)
Heat until butter is melted and mixture is blended on med-high heat. Bring to a boil; Boil 3 minutes without stirring.
Spread mixture over crackers, bake for 7 minutes.
Check on the kid, who was having a blast playing in her crib. She loves it when we put all of her stuffed toys in the crib with her, she bounces around on them, piles them up, hides in them and then the best part of all is when she tosses them all out and then calls for us put them all back in! Only to repeat several times, laughing alll the while .It's a very entertaining game for her!
After checking on the kid, chop 1 package Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate.
(lesson learned - use the food processor, much neater, duh!)
Immediately sprinkle with chopped chocolate; let stand 5 minutes.
1 cup Chopped Walnuts
Spread chocolate evenly over mixture.
Sprinkle with walnuts.

Cool Completely, then cut or break into pieces.

The recipe said it makes 16 servings but I think that their idea of a serving and my idea are two completely different things!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Those look like they'd mail quite nicely....!